Midcontinent Communications Makes Technology Upgrades
Founded in 1931 in Minneapolis, MN, Midcontinent Communications was first known as the Welworth Theater Company, a movie theatre operator. It remained in that business through the 1990s and then sold to Carmike. Midcontinent Communications then purchased the Midcontinent Broadcasting Company, but quickly changed its name to Midcontinent Media and continued to purchase radio and television stations.
Today, Midcontinent Communications is a subsidiary of Midcontinent Media and provides residential cable, Internet and phone services to North and South Dakota, as well as western communities in Wisconsin and Minnesota. It employs approximately 1,030 people and also offers business services via fiber optic cable through leased-data circuits.
Midcontinent Communications' headquarters are located in Sioux Falls, SD. It operates as a joint venture between Midcontinent Media and Comcast (Midco). The area it services contains nearly 250,000 customers and 240 communities.
Over the last five years, Midcontinent has spent more than $75 million on plant upgrades to be able to provide rural customers with better services that include advanced digital and high definition TV, broadband Internet, and more competition among phone services.
Customer benefits include:
- Hundreds of channel choices
- Commercial-free digital music
- On-Demand programming
- Premium sports and movie channels
- Popular HD networks
- Interactive features
- Advanced technology
- Custom designed an interactive program guide
- Parental controls
The type of equipment needed will vary and most is available through Midcontinent. Its professional service technicians will be able to let you know exactly what you need. Available equipment includes:
- Converter Box
- Digital QAM Tuner
- Digital Receiver
- HD Receiver
Bundles And Pricing
Customers can choose from an array of pre-packaged bundles or can choose to build their own from an ala carte menu. The three top bundle packages are as follows:
- Basic Cable and MidcoNet Xstream 1.0: $69.99 per month for the first 12 months, this package offers 99 cable channels (more than 50 HD), 30 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload.
- Preferred Cable and MidcoNew Xstream 1.0: $78.95 per month for the first 12 months, this package includes more than 200 cable channels (more than 100 HD ones), 30 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload.
- Basic Trio: $79.99 per month for 12 months includes 99 cable channels (more than 50 in HD), 50 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload, and basic digital phone line.
Midcontinent’s mission is: “Valuing our customers as honored guests by creating and delivering high quality services that customers want in exchange for a fair price, developing our employees and treating them fairly, and contributing to the communities of which we are a part.”
Keeping communities connected now and in the future is what they are all about.